3.23.2015

One Person.



I've spent a lot of time on the road lately for le day job and that always offers ample time for deep thoughts avec Ray.  It also means that I have to keep my attention held because I drive myself crazy if I'm in the car longer than an hour.  A couple of weeks ago I drove by a billboard on the freeway that touched my heart.  It was one of the popular "Pass It On" ad campaign billboards and it had a picture of Nelson Mandela and quoted him as saying, "what can one person do?"  Talk about an ah ha moment for me and I haven't been able to get it off my mind since.

As humans we are programmed to be needed and to help others.  We have beating hearts and generally, we use that to better the world around us.  But, it breaks my heart when I hear someone say, "I don't know what I can do, but I would love to help."  Talk about downgrading your worth in one short sentence.  We ALL have character traits that can help just about anyone or anything.  I had this shown to me personally in so many small ways, in the days after my granddad passed away.  Very little things that I could NOT muster to do for myself were done by others.  It could have seemed remedial to them, but it was extremely important to me and it helped me get through some tough days of deep grieving. 

Today I posted on my personal Facebook page about the gratitude I feel for the small blessings in my life that make a big difference.  I mean that too!  Last week I posted about the Ogden Area Influencers Summit that I was preparing to attend last Friday.  It was an incredible event.  I left on a happy high like I have never experienced after a business function before....and believe me....I've been to a few in my 11 year career.  I'm going to write more about that event later this week, but those 4 hours and $15 spent on my entrance fee was seriously some of the most beneficial time I've ever spent.  One lovely lady and her passion for Ogden made such an impact on my heart and for that I am so deeply grateful.  Never mind the impact it made on my professional goals too, but my emotional health was far greater the benefactor than the financial bottom line. 

The other element of my life that seems so small to many, but has such an impact, is the practice of writing handwritten thank you notes.  I've talked about this in the past through my personal initiative of #happymailfromthehood, but I am specifically talking about thank you notes in the work place.  My darling friend Mel is the QUEEN BEE OF THANK YOU NOTES and I took her fine example and implemented it with my new job.  Not only does it make people's day when they receive something in the mail that isn't crap, but it forces me to sit down and express gratitude for every little thing that makes my job just a wee bit easier.  I need those reminders often.  Often.  Often. 

I've been journaling a lot at night before I go to bed because my brain is in stress mode regarding work and my personal life.  I've definitely seen the positive effects of forcing myself to find quotes that uplift and empower me.  It's not easy being on your A-game day in and day out for a career and I'm generally VERY exhausted when I get home at night.  Thus, the laundry continues to pile up (big surprise) and the dishwasher is loaded when I feel like it.  Last night my journaling included some quotes written all froo froo with some new metallic pens I scored at Target (oh the simple joys of adulthood).  The first quote penned by Ralph Waldo Emerson was, "Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year."  The second was from our good buddy William Shakespeare and he said, "Though she was but little, she is fierce."  Sigh.  This lady needed those simple words.  Every day IS the best day of the year and even though I feel little in the grand scheme of things, I AM fierce.  I love deeply and I really care about the little things of life that make up the big picture. 

The moral of the story:  One person can make a huge impact on many by one simple gesture of love and gratitude. 

Until next time, my lovelies!
-R

No comments:

Post a Comment